Sunday, January 17, 2010

Any squirrel hunters out there?

Question ? My boys wanted to keep the squirrel's tail after are great hunting adventure;but do I have to preserve the tail and how.Any squirrel hunters out there?
Cut them off and let them sit in a dry basement for a few days. Don't let them play with the tails until they cure a bit.





I would weight them down or flatten with something or they will curl up on you.





Otherwise, that is all!





I can't WAIT until my son is old enough to do that!!!!!!!!!!!





I envy you...Any squirrel hunters out there?
you need to debone them and get rid of any meat thats on them and salt them down
I suppose there is a way to preserve the tail but I just cut it off and let the kids have it. I have never had one begin to stink. I think they dry out before they have a chance to rot. Anyway, the kids tire of messing with it long before odor has ever become a problem and the old tail just ends up in the trash in a few days. If you want to try to preserve it somewhat, just stick the cut stump into a container of salt for a few days and the salt will draw out all of the moisture and it will last a lot longer.
Just cut the tail off and dont do anything with it my friend it'll last for along time.
all you really have to do is cut the tail off, maybe sprinkle it with Borax to keep out moisture and let it hang in a dry place
We just cut them off and tacked them to the wall in the garage to dry. Great way to tally how successful your hunts have been for you and the family.





Not cruel or anything either since the animal has already been killed in a fair chase presumably. Just like a trophy. I had a friend who dusted the end cut off the squirrel in salt and he said you had to do that, but we never did. Our method always worked just fine.





Good hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment