Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How do i make my dog tree a squirrel?

encourage your dog to chase squirrels but dont kill them!!!! when the squirrel gets up a tree and cant get down or jump tto another tree its ';treed'; and the dog will be barking at it praise him then go home and give him a treatHow do i make my dog tree a squirrel?
You can't MAKE it tree a squirrel. Usually it comes naturally. My jack russell mix chases and trees, no one taught him. I am not into hunting anyway. So if you are going to kill the squirrel, then I am glad the dog won't do it.How do i make my dog tree a squirrel?
Some dogs have this inate ability.





If your dog doesnt have a strong prey drive it will take a few months to teach your dog how to do this. First you will need a pelt and a long string. Drag the pelt on the ground and have the dog learn to track it. If your dog doesnt do this you will never be able to teach him to tree a squirrel. There are tons of other steps but I am not really into hunting.
My dog is a bird dog, and she is VERY VERY fast (she as to be to catch the birds). For some reason she also loves to chase squirrels. Maybe try a higher energy dog or take your dog to a hunting trainer. Tell them what you want done. That's probaly your best bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment