Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Red squirrel is an endangered species,when and where did you last see one, ?

The amercan Red Squirrel is larger than the one in UK


Also the grey squirrels have forced the Red sqiirrel from its


normal habbitat in UK.Thats why it is dying out.


The grey is classed as vermin and comes from the US i`m told.The Red squirrel is an endangered species,when and where did you last see one, ?
I frequently see them in my garden I am glad to say. I live in the Highlands of Scotland and my garden is natural silver birch woodland which they seem to like. I once saw a Mum one with a baby hanging on round her neck and the she was moving it, which I am told is a very rare sight.


I do hope the grey ones don't completely eradicate the reds. They are so lovely.The Red squirrel is an endangered species,when and where did you last see one, ?
I used to see lots of them when |I was a child but they are being replaced by the greys. But, in Letchworth they still have Black Squirrels which are holding their own against the greys.......
I seen a Red last month in the Bluebell Woods in Johnstone it was drinking a Carlsberg and it attacked me with a flick knife,,,, It stole my wallet the filthy little ********ing *********er.
i saw one in this book it rocked!........squirrels rule!
I live in the USA in the State of Maine, I didn't know the red squirrel was an endangered species. We have red squirrels and chipmunks and of course the grey squirrel. I live in a very rural area so I have alot of them running around, plus i feed the birds outside so that attracts squirrels.
In a park in south Manchester in the 1980s. It's a protected colony.
I've never seen one.
I have only seen pictures but physically.. I have not yet seen one.
NORTHEAST WISCONSIN, USA NOV. 21
red squirrel is on the isle of white me ol mucker!


only place in the uk that the grey one aint!
i saw one once like 7 yrs ago in romania..... i took a pic!
I've never seen one ever.


Except in cartoons!
Red Squirrels have a typical head to body length of 19 to 23 cm, a tail length of 15 to 20 cm and a mass of 250 to 340 g. They are not sexually dimorphic as males and females are the same size. The Red Squirrel is slightly smaller than the Eastern Grey Squirrel which has a head to body length of 25 to 30 cm and weighs between 400 and 800 g. It is thought that the long tail helps the squirrel to balance and steer when jumping from tree to tree and running along branches and may keep the animal warm during sleep.





The coat of the red squirrel varies in colour with time of year and location. There are several different coat colour morphs ranging from black to red. Red coats are most common in Great Britain; in other parts of Europe and Asia the different coat colours co-exist within populations, much like hair colour in humans. The underside of the squirrel is always white-cream in colour. Red Squirrels shed their coats twice a year, switching from a thinner summer coat to a thicker, darker winter coat with noticeably larger ear-tufts (a prominent distinguishing feature of this species) between August and November. A lighter, redder overall coat colour, along with the larger ear-tufts, helps to distinguish the European Red Squirrel from either of the Eastern Grey Squirrel or the American Red Squirrel.





The Red Squirrel, like most tree squirrels, has sharp, curved claws to enable the climbing of trees, even when branches are overhanging.
If you are in the UK then the North West of England is a fantastic place to see red squirrels. There is a place called Fornby Nature Reserve where you see loads of the blighters and they are quite tame!


Beautiful creatures...
  • back blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment