Sunday, January 17, 2010

HELP! a squirrel is trying to nest in my car and my dogs are trying to tear my car apart to get at it.?

This just started this afternoon The dogs were jumping on and scratching my car. when I opened the hood I saw a squirrel scury into the deeper areas of my car.





I then went for a fast ride in hopes that it would scare it out.


But when I came back I could tell it was still in there by the way the dogs were acting. I put the car behind a gate so my dogs would not damage it.





I can also see where the squirrel has been chewing in the engine compartment.





WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET IT TO LEAVE SO IT DOESN'T STAY ALL WINTER?HELP! a squirrel is trying to nest in my car and my dogs are trying to tear my car apart to get at it.?
Moth balls. squirrels hate the smell and will leave post hasteHELP! a squirrel is trying to nest in my car and my dogs are trying to tear my car apart to get at it.?
do like the other guy said.call animal control.they can get it out for you,without killing it.
call animal patrol or whatever it is thats in your area. or take it to the self car wash, and spray water under your hood and under the car. or if you got a hose at home, try to flush it out.
go to the store and buy a fogger that you would get rid of cockroaches ina house set it under the middle of the car and you,ll get rid of everythingmaybe the motor and passengers too then come back air it out real good and washthe inside real good then i suggest a very strong air freshener
WHY IS IT THEY DO THIS?


This actually happens quite a lot, in all areas where the grey squirrel has populated. Most of the time, the reason is overpopulation - there are just so many squirrels out there that these places become attractive. Sometimes these are young and inexperienced squirrels or those that have been RAISED in a place such as this. We have found squirrels nesting in every conceivable place, from large industrial fans and equipment, to residential vents, fireplaces, grills and vehicles. Especially abandoned or little used vehicles, although there are squirrels that do this in vehicles that are used every day. Although I'm sure others might, I have not come up with this except with the grey squirrel.





OKAY, SO WHAT DO I DO?


For the present, you can open the hood up and leave it open so they will have no cover. (They don't like this.) Or, you can always try parking down the street, well out of the animal's comfortable territory. Even though this might put you out, somewhat, it might be easier than paying several hundred dollars for new wiring. Which, BTW, are charges that are generally not covered by your insurance....





DETER THEM?


Well not really. Short of staking out a large dog within range of your car. Let me put it this way: there is no device, chemical, mechanical, magnetic, electronic, sonic, stroboscopic, or any combination of those, that will consistently keep these animals at bay. Neither will loud rock music, stuffed owls, marigolds, mint, basil, catnip, boric acid, bleach, ammonia, soap bars, Bounce dryer sheets, urine of wolves, coyotes, fox, bear, or dinosaur. Nor will dog-do or even human-do. Did I forget anything?





You have to do it the old-fashioned way. And that way is to trap and remove them, and that should be your ultimate goal. And I'll always say that this is also the reason not to encourage (by feeding) these, or any animal - ever. Any wild animal, habituated to man, becomes dependent on him.
I long trip will kill it, but if you don't want to do that Call animal patrol or just open the hood and shoot it with water, just stay away from the battery, spark plugs, unprotected wires, and air filter. Oh alternator too!
I know this sounds stupid, but it's the ONLY thing that got a family of voles out of my volvo-*ha, Volvo voles*. This guy got under my car with a cigar and let the smoke rise into the engine. the voles were out faster than snot, and it didn't cost me anything or waiting to have someone come out on thier own sweet time.
Take analamsta's advise. There is nothing a squirrel hates worse than the smell of moth balls. He will hi-tail it for greener pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment