Thursday, May 13, 2010

My pet squirrel scratched me, and made me bleed, may be infected . . what should i do about oozing?

It is unlikely your squirrel has rabies if it's confined to a cage in your home but, as the first reply stated, you should have taken precautionary steps (immediately). You have to be seen by a doctor for an antibiotic injection and must bring your squirrel to a vet. hospital to be seen by a veterinarian with knowledge of treating a rodent. I assume, as a rodent, it has pellet droppings instead of the ';messy stuff'; but don't know whether, or not, it covers what it leaves? The problem with a scratch is that you can be infected by what the animal may have gotten on a claw-tip - this would be similar to Cat Scratch Fever which must run its' course as there aren't any antibiotics which have proven to relieve/cure the symptoms. The symptoms usually include swollen lymph glands, a low-grade fever and a boil-type infection where the claw has punctured - I'd forgotten about these until a month ago, when I realized my symptoms ';seemed familiar'; (from 20 years earlier). Someone terrified my cat while I was holding her . . . so, next time, do the peroxide wash as am sure you don't want blood-poisoning. You do trim your squirrel's claws, don't you (unless you have a large oak tree growing in your room)?? Buy a nail-clipper for birds and be careful not to get bitten!My pet squirrel scratched me, and made me bleed, may be infected . . what should i do about oozing?
wash the wound well, with peroxide.


I recommend, you go to a hospital:did the squirrel had a rabies shot in the last 12 months.If not, you better get a rabies shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment