Thursday, May 13, 2010

Does anyone know of a cat breed that carries it's tail over it's back like a squirrel?

The cat is was given to my daughter at church. She has had one batch of kittens and they also carrey their tails over there back although they are totaly different colors and fur than the mother. We want to get her spade when she is through weaning them but wonder if it is a new breed startingDoes anyone know of a cat breed that carries it's tail over it's back like a squirrel?
We have a British Shorthaired cat that does this as well. We talked to some cat show judges and they said thats it is considered a fault for a show cat because it does run in the family. The judge explained that the last vertebrate before the tail starts is damaged, crooked or something that causes the muscles to pull the tail up and over. This will throw your cat off balance. Ours is quite the clutz, but handsome. You could create a breed of cats that have this trait because it is cute, however you should consider the general health of the cats. Their is a breed of munchkins cats available and they have short legs and a normal body. Some people don't like this breed because they have trouble grooming themselves. Perhaps you should visit the American Cat Fanciers Association or The International Cat Association websites for information on new breeds and see what they sayDoes anyone know of a cat breed that carries it's tail over it's back like a squirrel?
I'm not 100% of what you mean, but I have a male longhair that ALWAYS has his tail up in the air, straight up.. and he swishes it around like.. well.. anyway, it's the strangest thing, it may just be a thing that runs in the line of one of the parents, like the cats that have 2 separate eye colors...
I had a cat a long time ago who carried his tail over his back. I curled in a circle just like a Husky dog. He also had no balance. He would fall and land on his back. The strangest thing I ever saw. My kids also have a big orange Tabby who's tail lays in his back. I don't know if it is a new bread.
I've never heard of a breed like that, but that's not to say there isn't. Call a vet's office and ask the receptionist, maybe she can tell you. I've had two cats that carried their tails over their back like a chow dog, but that was just a quirk of their personality.
My Siamersian does that. We call her our little lemur.
A happy cat or a female in heat will walk around with its tail straight up, don't think it has anything to do with breed.


Could be also that the momma cat has some sort of genetic spinal birth defect that she passed on to all her offspring.


Ask your vet when you take the kittens in for their first check-up and shots.
My cat does that and she's a mix. ( Heinz 57 lol) kind of tiger-striped. Her name by the was IS Squirrel. My vet said it was just a quirk of hers. She had no injuries, etc., But that doesn't mean it's the same for your cat. I'd ask my vet if I were you. He may want to run x-rays.
I cant think of a certain breed that does that...but some cats do that....maybe it is just a trait inherited by mother or father cat
Kittens do that. I'm not sure why. The kittend will grow out of it though as they mature and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment