Friday, January 15, 2010

What to do with a Squirrel Hide?

after hunting the squirrel and taking all the meat what can i do with the hide and tail ?What to do with a Squirrel Hide?
You can tan them...stretch the hide across a piece of plywood. NEXT scrape any membrane of the hide with a sharp knife or tanning scraper. THEN apply ANY kind of salt to the hide, covering it completely. Allow it t o sit for 24 hours. Carefully rescrape the hide and re apply the salt for another 24 hours.


Dissolve one (1) pound of alum in one (1) gallon of warm water in a small bucket. Pour 2 陆 pounds of salt in the large barrel with four (4) gallon of cold water. Pour the contents of the small bucket into the large barrel and mix thoroughly. Replace the hide in the large barrel and soak for six (6) to seven nine (9) days, depending on the weather. Stir the mixture a couple of times a day making sure the entire hide is always immersed. After soaking, remove the hide, drain and thoroughly rinse.


Place the wet hide out of the direct sunlight on an upright flat plywood surface with flesh-side out. Allow to partially dry and rub lightly with warm Neat鈥檚 Foot Oil.


Lightly dampen the hide with a cloth. Remove excess water. Gently rub the hide using a back-and forth motion across a smooth (no splinters please) surface, a log, saw horse, metal pole. Continue the process until the hide is soft and supple. Very lightly apply Neat鈥檚 Foot Oil when needed.


After softening the hide, rub fine grit sandpaper over the surface of the hide to remove tool marks and further soften the leather.


EDITED.....


Con Holly take your anti hunting fishing spam to your own blog or somewhere else. This is a question and answer forum designed for like minded hunters and fishermen to find out more about an activity that was given to them by God.


Your answers have been reportedWhat to do with a Squirrel Hide?
I started a really nice squirrel hide, it had the feet head and tail, it was going really nice for me then my damn boxer i had ate half of it, I havent had a squirrel hide since. But i tanned them the same way i do my deer skins.





I think squirrel skins ar one of my favorite thing, squirrels are just niffy little animals
Well, you could tan it but then I have no idea what you could do with it. You could also give it to a fly tyer to use in making flys. Lastly, you can do as I do and just throw it away. In warm weather, it is best to just skin the squirrel and leave the skin in the woods. If you put it in the trash at home, it will begin to spoil and stink to hight heaven.





When I was a kid, my grandpa used to give the tails to me and I'd hang them on the ends of my bicycle handlebars. I thought they were a beautiful decoration but as they got some age on them, they would start to loose hair and smell bad. Grandma would then throw then away and grandpa would give some fresh ones. All through squirrel season, I had what I thoght was the most beautfully decorated bike in town. I don't think kids do that any more so there's one less use for the tails. If you don't know a fly tyer, just throw the hide and tail away. It's not worth the trouble to tan it.
I will tan them... However I don't advise that for a begginer. If you'd like to hang it on the wall then stretch it out on a sheet of ply wood and nail it semi tight (But don't rip it) put ';Rock Salt'; over the whole hide leave it out of rain and weather (unless sunny and warm) for 3 days in temperatures above 70 and up to two weeks in tems below. have fun and enjoy





Morgan
you can tan the hide if you want. as for the tails you can sell them to the fishing lure company MEPPS. They buy them and put them on the spinners that thy make. go on their website for more info
The tail goes on the radio antenna.


The hides really aren't worth the trouble to tan


unless you can figure out a use for them.
http://www.mepps.com/squirrel_tail_progr鈥?/a> .......As the previous answerer suggested, I would sell the tails to mepp's for use in fishing lures. As for the rest of the hide I would tan it as the first poster suggested. After tanning several dozen, I would try to make something useful out of them. A satchel, or an arrow quiver perhaps. Something personal and made by your own hands is far more priceless than anything bought at a store.
dude thats messed up.. What the hell did that squirrel do to you. Please don't kill squirrels or other innocent animals. They are just like me and you. With a central Nervous system and a brain that can transmit pain, anger, depression and when the animals scared. So please don't kill them. I bet you are a pretty decent guy and so are the squirrels.





Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment